New York News
Man arrested in hate crimes released on bail
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police have arrested a man who is believed to be spreading messages of hate through vandalism and verbal harassment.
56-year-old David Haddad, who is Jewish, is accused of making threatening phone calls and scrawling swastikas on property in Manhattan and Brooklyn since December.
Police say he may also be responsible for anti-Semitic graffiti found Sunday in the Midwood section.
This past weekend, swastikas were spray-painted on some homes. These incidents were the latest in a series of hate attacks in Brooklyn and Manhattan.
Police believe Haddad went on an anti-semitic graffiti spree in Midwood, tagging schools and homes with at least a half dozen swastikas.
An apartment building on East 5th Street seems to have gotten the worst of it. Swastikas were found on the stairs, the front door and the basement stairwell.
Directly across the street, the same black spray paint may have been used to spread hateful messages on a garage.
The Yeshiva School of Brooklyn also became a target.
In total, graffiti was spray-painted at four locations, and local leaders were quick to denounce the messages of hate.
Haddad was later released on bail.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, hate crime, brooklyn, midwood, new york news
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead 14 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend 25 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- abcnews: North Korea Deports US War Vet Merrill Newman
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- 'Tips for Jesus' man leaves tips worth thousands
- Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Secret Sales: Diamonds, pretzels and iPhone cases
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead
14 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
25 min ago