New York News
Firefighter meets bone marrow recipient
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An FDNY firefighter met a little girl who's life he saved with his bone marrow donation and her family.
It was the first meeting ever between the Williams Family, their 6-year-old Alise, and the firefighter who donated his bone marrow, James Wildes.
"It's awesome. Twice I have had to watch my daughter die, and if weren't for this man she wouldn't be alive today," said Troy Williams, bone marrow recipient's father.
That's when everyone lost it, even little Alise who teared up.
Wildes is himself a family man with two young children of his own.
Three years ago he was notified that he was a perfect blood match for Alise.
At that time, she was a 3-year-old toddler, unknown to him in Iowa suffering from a very rare genetic disorder, and that she had run out of options.
"She's doing wonderful. We couldn't have asked for a better miracle," said Debra Williams, bone marrow recipient's mother.
Firefighters sign up to save lives, stranger's lives every day.
He said once he heard how young and how vulnerable she was it was different.
Understandably overwhelmed by the 20 cameras in her face, 6-year-old Alise was quiet the whole time.
She only would answer which was her favorite princess: Belle.
One of the firefighters looking on said it best, here's to more normal childhood moments for the little girl.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bone marrow, new york news, michelle charlesworth
- Brooklyn Bridge reopens after car fire
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend
- Residents protest bike sharing program
- Bruins eliminate Rangers with 3-1 win in Game 5 25 min ago
- 3 more men arrested in slaying of British soldier in London
- Thousands run final mile of Boston Marathon
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Christie and Snooki face off at Jersey shore
- abcnews: Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights Introduced
- Photos: Kickoff to a Long Island Summer photos