New York News
Firefighter meets bone marrow recipient
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An FDNY firefighter met a little girl who's life he saved with his bone marrow donation and her family.
It was the first meeting ever between the Williams Family, their 6-year-old Alise, and the firefighter who donated his bone marrow, James Wildes.
"It's awesome. Twice I have had to watch my daughter die, and if weren't for this man she wouldn't be alive today," said Troy Williams, bone marrow recipient's father.
That's when everyone lost it, even little Alise who teared up.
Wildes is himself a family man with two young children of his own.
Three years ago he was notified that he was a perfect blood match for Alise.
At that time, she was a 3-year-old toddler, unknown to him in Iowa suffering from a very rare genetic disorder, and that she had run out of options.
"She's doing wonderful. We couldn't have asked for a better miracle," said Debra Williams, bone marrow recipient's mother.
Firefighters sign up to save lives, stranger's lives every day.
He said once he heard how young and how vulnerable she was it was different.
Understandably overwhelmed by the 20 cameras in her face, 6-year-old Alise was quiet the whole time.
She only would answer which was her favorite princess: Belle.
One of the firefighters looking on said it best, here's to more normal childhood moments for the little girl.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bone marrow, new york news, michelle charlesworth
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 44 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
- Search for suspects in Riverhead robbery and assault 10 min ago
- Robbery suspect in custody after Astoria manhunt
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Video released in murder of Brooklyn bodega clerk
- Magnitude-7.5 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure
- Alleged serial bank robber nabbed in Greenwich Village 41 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
44 min ago