New York News
Kelly apologizes for officers viewing Islam movie
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police Commissioner Ray Kelly is issuing an apology to the Muslim community after it was discovered NYPD officers watched a controversial video on radical Islam.
The film, "The Third Jihad" was shown to officers during counterterrorism training seminars.
It was bankrolled by a conservative group and many Muslims find it biased and offensive.
Kelly says the movie was not part of the official curriculum and he was not aware it was being shown.
In a statement issued Wednesday night, Kelly said, "I offer my apologies to members of the Muslim community, in particular, who would find the film inflammatory and its airing on department property, though unauthorized, to be inappropriate."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, raymond kelly, new york news
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time 27 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster 54 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins 11 min ago
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports 8 min ago
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew...
8 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
54 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos