New York News
Kelly apologizes for officers viewing Islam movie
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police Commissioner Ray Kelly is issuing an apology to the Muslim community after it was discovered NYPD officers watched a controversial video on radical Islam.
The film, "The Third Jihad" was shown to officers during counterterrorism training seminars.
It was bankrolled by a conservative group and many Muslims find it biased and offensive.
Kelly says the movie was not part of the official curriculum and he was not aware it was being shown.
In a statement issued Wednesday night, Kelly said, "I offer my apologies to members of the Muslim community, in particular, who would find the film inflammatory and its airing on department property, though unauthorized, to be inappropriate."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, raymond kelly, new york news
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth 35 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Calendar says winter, feels like spring 4 min ago
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
35 min ago