New York News
Man fatally shot by off-duty officer in Brooklyn
CYPRESS HILLS (WABC) -- A man was fatally shot by an off-duty police officer in the Cypress Hills section of Brooklyn Thursday morning after he apparently opened fire at police.
Police say the suspect, identified as 22-year-old Christopher Kissane, was shot outside a home near the intersection of Hemlock and Etna streets just after 4:15 a.m.
Authorities say the incident began when Kissane, armed with a revolver and wearing a mask, crashed a stolen car into a pole at Jamaica Avenue and Cyprus Street. Police say he was suspected in an earlier shooting, attempted carjacking and a separate successful carjacking in Queens.
Police say Kissane abandoned the vehicle and walked several blocks to Hemlock Street, with the officer who had spotted him exiting the vehicle following him.
At that point, Kissane apparently fired shots at the officer. The lieutenant returned fire, striking Kissane. He was rushed to Brookdale Hospital, where he later died. The officer was treated for trauma.
Police say the suspect's .22-caliber revolver was recovered at the scene, with four bullets remaining in the cylinder. A plastic bag containing 15 additional rounds was also recovered.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, cypress hills, police shooting, new york news, anthony johnson
- Bronx fire leaves 2 dead, 3 firefighters hurt 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives 5 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth
- Triple stabbing at Stamford High School
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
5 min ago