New York News
Con Ed crew takes heroic action to help woman
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A Con Edison crew in Queens jumped into action when they saw a young woman getting attacked and robbed.
They're like a Con Ed team.
John Kane, Michael Santeramo and John McDonnell work together every day.
But Wednesday night they went above and beyond.
They were working on a gas line just off Northern Boulevard in Bayside, Queens when all of a sudden they saw a crime taking place.
"All we heard was screaming, bags go flying," Kane said.
A young woman was being attacked, punched in the face, by a man trying to rob her.
"She was bleeding through her mouth her, tooth was hanging," Kane said.
The guys sprang into action running after the suspect.
"You're scared, but at the end of the day you want to help this lady because it could be your daughter, your girlfriend, your mom," Santeramo said.
The guys chased the suspect down a nearby driveway but stopped when he put a gun to their face.
So unfortunately, the suspect got away.
The workers went back and stayed with the young woman until the ambulance arrived.
"I wish we got him. We were close, but we just wanted to help the lady," Santeramo said.
"I'm just happy that she wasn't further harmed because who knows what could have happened," McDonnell said.
Neighbors are praising the three for putting themselves in harm's way to help the 24-year-old woman.
"I think sometimes people have to step up to the plate whenever they need to, period," said Adrian Camacho, a neighbor.
The guys say they still don't even know the name of the woman they helped.
They're just glad they were there.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, queens, robbery, con ed, new york news
- Nekisia Davis' mom, Cheryl, stole a 1993 Honda Accord - and she didn't even mean to. 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Burlington County woman charged with trying to kill her 3...
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 14 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 11 min ago
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos