New York News
Police make arrest in Bronx carjacking
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A Bronx mother lived out her worst nightmare Saturday after a man stole her van, with her 3-year-old boy still in it.
Police say the van was double parked in front of 2651 Jerome Avenue in the Fordham section at 1:05 p.m.
The mother says she parked in front of her flower shop and got out, walking to the other side to take her child out.
That's when police say Joseph Fuscaldo jumped into the driver's seat and took off, with the child still inside.
The boy's mother jumped in front of the vehicle to try to stop it as the suspect sped off.
Lucila Saaveda suffered a broken leg when she jumped in front of the minivan.
While she was rushed to the hospital, police and family members frantically searched and continuously called a cell phone left in the van until the smart little boy, strapped into his carseat, answered it.
"He tells me 'Im scared, where are you?'" sister Dallana Corona said.
About 45 minutes after the carjacking, the van was found a few blocks away and the boy was recovered.
Police say despite being exhausted from crying, the boy was fine.
Fuscaldo was placed under arrest on Monday.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bronx, carjacking, new york news
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos