New York News
Cop fatally shoots teen trying to mug him in Brooklyn
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An off-duty detective fatally shot one of two men mugging him on the street in the Bushwick section of Brooklyn late Sunday.
The officer was walking to work when he was attacked by the two men at the intersection of Broadway and Grove Street just before midnight.
Police say one of the men simulated holding a gun while the other knocked the victim down to the ground with a cane.
The detective opened fire on the muggers, hitting the cane-wielding suspect once in the chest.
Antwain White, 17, was rushed to Woodhull Hospital in traumatic arrest and pronounced dead.
The second attacker fled the scene on foot, but was captured a short time later. Police have not released his name.
The detective was not physically injured, but was taken to Wyckoff Heights Medical Center for treatment of trauma.
He was walking to the subway at the time of the attempted mugging.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, bushwick, police shooting, shooting, new york news, darla miles
- Designer L'Wren Scott dead in apparent suicide
- AccuWeather: Clearing And Cold 42 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Company insider comes forward against energy company 34 min ago
- Photos: NYC St. Patrick's Day Parade
- St. Pat's parade proceeds amid tension over gays
- Suspect accused of setting Brooklyn apartment fire 6 min ago
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast investigation ramps up
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Earthquake shakes Los Angeles awake 49 min ago
- Tuesday last day to apply for TCS NYC Marathon 15 min ago
- Photos: Dancing With The Stars Season 18 cast
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- AccuWeather: Clearing And Cold
42 min ago