New York News
Cop fatally shoots teen trying to mug him in Brooklyn
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An off-duty detective fatally shot one of two men mugging him on the street in the Bushwick section of Brooklyn late Sunday.
The officer was walking to work when he was attacked by the two men at the intersection of Broadway and Grove Street just before midnight.
Police say one of the men simulated holding a gun while the other knocked the victim down to the ground with a cane.
The detective opened fire on the muggers, hitting the cane-wielding suspect once in the chest.
Antwain White, 17, was rushed to Woodhull Hospital in traumatic arrest and pronounced dead.
The second attacker fled the scene on foot, but was captured a short time later. Police have not released his name.
The detective was not physically injured, but was taken to Wyckoff Heights Medical Center for treatment of trauma.
He was walking to the subway at the time of the attempted mugging.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, bushwick, police shooting, shooting, new york news, darla miles
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos