New York News
Law proposes to make subway snacking illegal
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It could be the end of the line for eating in the subway.
A prominent politician wants to crack down on food waste and rats at subway stations by fining straphangers caught having a snack.
So will eating a bagel while waiting for the subway soon be criminal behavior?
New York State Senator Bill Perkins' proposed bill would ban eating on subway trains or anywhere in the stations.
Open beverages are already illegal, but critics say it is a tough law to enforce.
If the bill passes, the fine for eating would be $250.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, subway, new york news, lisa colagrossi
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach 12 min ago
- Jersey City water main break isolated; Water back on 41 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 55 min ago
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued will stay together
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school 22 min ago
- Water line floods three Midtown building...
39 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos