New York News
Grandmother dies in Jamaica, Queens, house fire
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A deadly fire in Queens and a failed rescue attempt devastated a family overnight Thursday.
The midnight fire tore through the top floor of a home at 129th Avenue and Sutphin Boulevard in South Jamaica.
11-year-old Leah Perry cried all day Thursday.
She's a heartbroken young girl who lost her grandmother.
"We're in shock, we're still in shock, we're still in shock," said Sharon Spencer Smith, the victim's daughter.
Sharon Spencer Smith says she and her husband were in a downstairs apartment with Leah.
They had no idea the second floor was on fire.
It was a neighbor who alerted them by banging frantically on the front door.
Sharon's mother was killed in the suffocating smoke.
69-year-old Elaine Spencer was a retired bookkeeper.
The home has no history of building code violations.
And fire officials tell Eyewitness News that the second floor and the stairway leading up to it had smoke detectors.
But, the smoke detectors had no batteries which could have made a life-or-death difference.
Fire marshals are now trying to see how the fire got started.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, queens, jamaica, fire, deadly fire, new york news, n.j. burkett
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday 59 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Baby it's cold outside! 4 min ago
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- Mega Millions hits $400M jackpot 40 min ago
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email 17 min ago
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Icy cold temperatures hit Tri-State area
54 min ago
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
59 min ago