New York News
Unarmed man shot and killed by NYPD in Wakefield
WAKEFIELD, Bronx (WABC) -- A New York City police officer shot and killed an unarmed 18-year-old drug suspect following a foot pursuit and a confrontation inside the victim's home, police said Thursday.
Thursday night at the 47th Precinct, Ramarley Graham's family is looking for answers.
The 18-year-old's mother and father are grieving.
"He's just a loving boy," said Ramarley's father.
"Marley, he's not a bad kid," said Constance Malcolm, Ramarley's mother.
The shooting happened at about 3 p.m.
According to investigators, police first spotted Graham on White Plains Road.
They say he ran, and police went after him.
They ended up in Ramarley Graham's home at 749 East 229 Street.
Inside, there was a struggle.
The officer fired one shot at close range from his 9mm semiautomatic handgun, Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne said. The victim was struck in the chest and collapsed inside the bathroom. He was pronounced dead at the hospital.
Minutes after the shooting as word spread in the neighborhood, an explosion of anger spilled out onto the streets.
Police are interviewing witnesses.
Graham's 6-year-old brother and his grandmother saw the shooting unfold.
More than seven hours after the shooting, the grandmother was still being questioned by police.
Marijuana was found inside the home, police said. No weapon was recovered.
According to police sources, Graham has 8 prior arrests dating back to 2008. Four of those arrests are sealed.
October 2011 - burglary and possession of stolen property
Decemeber 2010 - marijuana and resisting arrest
March 2010 - disorderly conduct and resisting arrest
May 2008 - robbery
The name of the 30-year-old officer was not released. He joined the force in 2008, and had not been involved in any previous shootings, Browne said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, police shooting, bronx, wakefield, new york news, jeff pegues
- Firefighters struggle to contain NJ forest fires
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Brush fire in Beachwood, New Jersey
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games
- Man brutalizes women with hammer in Astoria apartment
- Justin Bieber being held at LAX
- NYU investigating pro-Palestine 'eviction' fliers
- 9-year-old dies in fall from Bronx high-rise
- Suspect charged with throwing Molotov Cocktail into deli
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green