New York News
Unarmed man shot and killed by NYPD in Wakefield
WAKEFIELD, Bronx (WABC) -- A New York City police officer shot and killed an unarmed 18-year-old drug suspect following a foot pursuit and a confrontation inside the victim's home, police said Thursday.
Thursday night at the 47th Precinct, Ramarley Graham's family is looking for answers.
The 18-year-old's mother and father are grieving.
"He's just a loving boy," said Ramarley's father.
"Marley, he's not a bad kid," said Constance Malcolm, Ramarley's mother.
The shooting happened at about 3 p.m.
According to investigators, police first spotted Graham on White Plains Road.
They say he ran, and police went after him.
They ended up in Ramarley Graham's home at 749 East 229 Street.
Inside, there was a struggle.
The officer fired one shot at close range from his 9mm semiautomatic handgun, Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne said. The victim was struck in the chest and collapsed inside the bathroom. He was pronounced dead at the hospital.
Minutes after the shooting as word spread in the neighborhood, an explosion of anger spilled out onto the streets.
Police are interviewing witnesses.
Graham's 6-year-old brother and his grandmother saw the shooting unfold.
More than seven hours after the shooting, the grandmother was still being questioned by police.
Marijuana was found inside the home, police said. No weapon was recovered.
According to police sources, Graham has 8 prior arrests dating back to 2008. Four of those arrests are sealed.
October 2011 - burglary and possession of stolen property
Decemeber 2010 - marijuana and resisting arrest
March 2010 - disorderly conduct and resisting arrest
May 2008 - robbery
The name of the 30-year-old officer was not released. He joined the force in 2008, and had not been involved in any previous shootings, Browne said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, police shooting, bronx, wakefield, new york news, jeff pegues
- Actor James Gandolfini of "The Sopranos" dies
- AccuWeather Forecast: More sunshine
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Joe Torre's daughter catches child from awning
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx
- Leonia firehouse reopens after sex assault
- UFT endorses Thompson for NYC mayor
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- Upstate NY men accused of trying to make X-ray weapon
- Body found near Patriot's home was homicide victim
- Whistle-blower taped guards sleeping at JFK airport
- Photos: James Gandolfini through the years
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos