New York News
Luis Ortiz indicted on attempted murder charge
NEW YORK -- A man accused of shooting a New York City police officer in the head has been indicted on an attempted murder charge.
The Brooklyn District Attorney's Office announced the indictment of 21-year-old Luis Ortiz on Monday. If convicted, Ortiz faces up to 25 years to life in prison. His lawyer did not return a message seeking comment.
Ortiz is accused of shooting Officer Kevin Brennan at point-blank range in the head last Tuesday. The officer is expected to make a full recovery.
Police say surveillance video showed Brennan in a headlock, then being shot in an alcove and lying unmoving while the suspect flees.
Prosecutors called the shooting an evil act by an evil person. Defense attorney Eric Poulos said there is no proof his client was the gunman.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, police officer shot, new york news
- Newark bus crash leaves 9 hurt, 1 critically 28 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 13 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark 28 min ago
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013 23 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
13 min ago