New York News
Abandoned baby found in Coney Island hallway
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An abandoned girl was found in the hallway of a city-run apartment complex in Coney Island, Brooklyn, late Wednesday.
The baby, about 6 months old, was found in a seventh floor hallway of O'Dwyer Gardens apartment complex just before midnight.
The baby girl, who neighbors call Anyla was found after witnesses say they heard the baby's mother fighting with a man near her 11th floor apartment.
"I was home. I heard the rucus, but I never heard the baby," said Arlene Benjamin, the mother's neighbor.
The fight had continued on the seventh floor where one resident who wishes not to be identified describes just how ugly it got, the whole time with the little baby shrieking.
"He was like, hitting her against the wall," she said.
Police are now questioning the baby's mother.
Eyewitness News has learned she had just started bringing little Anyla to a day care center.
Sources at the center say her mother was trying to go to school, but people who know the mother say she appeared frazzled.
The O'Dwyer Gardens is a six-building, 573-apartment housing complex, housing an estimated 1,059 residents.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, coney island, abandoned baby, new york news, stacey sager
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse 39 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Sales: Last minute holiday gifts
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- 4 juveniles charges in possible knockout attacks
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos