New York News
Abandoned baby found in Coney Island hallway
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An abandoned girl was found in the hallway of a city-run apartment complex in Coney Island, Brooklyn, late Wednesday.
The baby, about 6 months old, was found in a seventh floor hallway of O'Dwyer Gardens apartment complex just before midnight.
The baby girl, who neighbors call Anyla was found after witnesses say they heard the baby's mother fighting with a man near her 11th floor apartment.
"I was home. I heard the rucus, but I never heard the baby," said Arlene Benjamin, the mother's neighbor.
The fight had continued on the seventh floor where one resident who wishes not to be identified describes just how ugly it got, the whole time with the little baby shrieking.
"He was like, hitting her against the wall," she said.
Police are now questioning the baby's mother.
Eyewitness News has learned she had just started bringing little Anyla to a day care center.
Sources at the center say her mother was trying to go to school, but people who know the mother say she appeared frazzled.
The O'Dwyer Gardens is a six-building, 573-apartment housing complex, housing an estimated 1,059 residents.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, coney island, abandoned baby, new york news, stacey sager
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Stormy day
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Man hacked to death in apparent terror attack
- Queens businessman kidnapped and tortured
- Operation Swill: cheap booze in premium liquor bottles
- Funeral for Hofstra student accidentally shot by police
- Oklahoma tornado damage toll mounting
- Secret Sales: Brownies, Diamonds and a super secret sale
- abcnews: Man Shot by FBI Was About to Sign Murder...
- OTRC: 'Man of Steel' trailer, with General Zod
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help, Get Help
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos