New York News
Rikers supervisor charged in inmate attack
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A veteran Rikers Island supervisor was charged with excessively attacking an inmate who punched a female correction officer.
Assistant Deputy Warden Edwin Diaz, a 25-year Correction Department veteran and ex-Marine, surrendered Thursday morning to face the charges in Bronx Criminal Court.
He was charged with attacking an inmate at the George R. Vierno Center on Rikers Island in September of 2008.
A young female officer ordered the inmate, 22-year-old Jesus Alejandro, into his cell. The inmate responded by grabbing the officer and punching her.
Diaz subdued Alejandro, but court papers allege he excessively banged the inmate's head.
Alejandro was serving 23 years to life for fatally stabbing girlfriend Cristina Hernandez in 2008. He stabbed her 26 times, slit her throat and left her head next to the open oven door with the gas turned on.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, rikers island, arrest, new york news
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club 25 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold 1 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen 1 min ago
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
1 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos