New York News
Rikers supervisor charged in inmate attack
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A veteran Rikers Island supervisor was charged with excessively attacking an inmate who punched a female correction officer.
Assistant Deputy Warden Edwin Diaz, a 25-year Correction Department veteran and ex-Marine, surrendered Thursday morning to face the charges in Bronx Criminal Court.
He was charged with attacking an inmate at the George R. Vierno Center on Rikers Island in September of 2008.
A young female officer ordered the inmate, 22-year-old Jesus Alejandro, into his cell. The inmate responded by grabbing the officer and punching her.
Diaz subdued Alejandro, but court papers allege he excessively banged the inmate's head.
Alejandro was serving 23 years to life for fatally stabbing girlfriend Cristina Hernandez in 2008. He stabbed her 26 times, slit her throat and left her head next to the open oven door with the gas turned on.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, rikers island, arrest, new york news
- East Harlem investigators seeking clues in basement
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- Brooklyn shooting leaves 4 boys wounded
- NYC Sanitation Commissioner John Doherty retiring
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt 13 min ago
- Photos: Bus hits cars in Brooklyn 17 min ago
- Malaysian leader: plane's system deliberately disabled
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $400 million