New York News
Brooklyn DA will not charge mom of Coney Island baby
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The mother of a baby girl found abandoned in the hallway of a city-run apartment complex in Brooklyn was arrested, but the Brooklyn DA later decided not to prosecute the mother and the charges were dropped.
Police say 28-year-old Michelle Herrera left 6-month-old Anyla in a seventh floor hallway of O'Dwyer Gardens apartment complex just before midnight Wednesday.
The baby girl was found after witnesses say they heard the baby's mother fighting with a man.
"I was home," neighbor Arlene Benjamin said. "I heard the rucus, but I never heard the baby."
The fight had continued on the seventh floor, where one resident, who did not want to be identified, described just how ugly it got, the whole time with the little baby shrieking.
"He was like, hitting her against the wall," she said.
The O'Dwyer Gardens is a six-building, 573-apartment housing complex, housing an estimated 1,059 residents.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, coney island, abandoned baby, new york news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act