New York News
Easy winter equals fewer potholes
FLUSHING (WABC) -- When Mayor Bloomberg and the transportation commissioner do their annual spring-time pothole event, New York City streets usually look a mess.
They were awful last year. This year? Completely different.
"Last year, forget about it. It was pothole city. I damaged my car. This year I've been lucky," George Santiago said.
"A little bit better, but there's a lot more that could be done," driver Gerard Rothschild said.
This year instead of talking about how awful the streets were, the mayor had some good news. Street paving is way ahead of schedule and pothole repairs are way down.
Last year at this time the city had already fixed 274, 000 potholes. This year over the same period about 166,000. That's more than 100,000 fewer. And the reason? Nice weather.
This year spring is much earlier and warmer. This past winter we got only 4 and a-half inches of snow. Compare that to the winter before? 61 inches of snow, and that was brutal on streets.
The mayor tried to take credit for the good weather, saying it's been great for his budget, but the joke didn't quite work .
"We decided this year we would have less snow. It's supposed to be a joke, but geesh none of you guys, get a life will ya. For God's sake," he laughed.
The mayor, though, did brag about a new automated pothole machine now being tested called the python. The machine can shoot out recycled asphalt, gently rake it, and then tamp it down. The machine allows one man to do the work of 5 or 6.
Despite the warm weather, there are still potholes to be fixed, but this year at least there are fewer.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, queens, flushing, michael bloomberg, pothole, new york news, dave evans
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday
- 7 On Your Side gets back $1-million dollars in 2013
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- New York City issues snow alert
- Police searching for missing Rider U student
- Newtown victims to be remembered Saturday
- Photos: Photos of the Newtown school shooting victims
- Kansas man arrested in car bomb plot at airport 11 min ago
- Christie appointee resigns amid probe 12 min ago
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email
- Mega Millions rises to $425M for Friday drawing
- Secret Sales: Dark Chocolate Espresso Beans and Photo Books