New York News
NY Archbishop Dolan readies for elevation to Cardinal
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Tuesday marks the start of a busy and whirlwind week for New York's Cardinal-Designate Archbishop Timothy Dolan.
He will celebrate Masses, deliver a keynote speech and then officially be elevated to Cardinal in an elaborate ceremony at the Vatican.
On this Valentine's Day, Dolan shared with Eyewitness News exactly what was in his heart and running through his head. He downed several cappuccinos and then conducted several interviews, including a 10-minute sitdown with reporter Joe Torres.
Regarding the meaning of becoming a Cardinal in the Catholic church, Dolan said while it officially doesn't happen until Saturday, he is already starting to feel the effects of what he describes as a "call to greater service."
"As happy as I am and as honored as I am by this promotion, which it really isn't, I already know it's going to be more work," he said. "I'm already asked to do more work, for the wider church, and I say hallelujah, because that's what we're supposed to do, all of us."
Dolan left New York for Rome on Saturday night, a bit earlier than he had originally planned. He said he wanted to get to the Eternal City for a little downtime, to get away from the whirlwind, so he could have time for prayer and reflection. He also wanted to get his words down on paper, as he has a big speech to deliver in front of all the Cardinals on Friday. It's a plum assignment, handed down by the Pope, and a clear indication of what Pope Benedict XVI thinks of New York's Catholic leader.
Stay with 7online and Eyewitness News for complete coverage of Archbishop Dolan's elevation to Cardinal. Joe Torres will be reporting from Rome all week, and you can watch the elevation ceremony live, beginning at 4 a.m. Saturday.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, cardinal timothy dolan, new york news, joe torres
- At least 2 dead, 18 hurt in East Harlem explosion 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 15 min ago
- Metro-North service changes due to East Harlem explosion
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase
- Photos: Incredible images from Colorado car chase