New York News
Train platform smoking ban enforcement begins
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Starting Wednesday, smoke on outdoor train platform and you could land behind bars.
Metro North and the LIRR are now enforcing the New York State ban on outdoor smoking.
That means no smoking on outdoor platforms, ticketing and boarding areas.
The law took effect in November, but there was a grace period.
Those who break the rule could face fines of up to $50 and/or 30 days in jail.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, metro north, long island railroad, smoking, new york news
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera 56 min ago
- Man caught on camera using cloned ATM card 43 min ago
- BridgeGate panel could call Gov. Chris Christie to testify 27 min ago
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87 15 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 15 min ago