New York News
Train platform smoking ban enforcement begins
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Starting Wednesday, smoke on outdoor train platform and you could land behind bars.
Metro North and the LIRR are now enforcing the New York State ban on outdoor smoking.
That means no smoking on outdoor platforms, ticketing and boarding areas.
The law took effect in November, but there was a grace period.
Those who break the rule could face fines of up to $50 and/or 30 days in jail.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, metro north, long island railroad, smoking, new york news
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email
- Mega Millions hits $400M for Friday drawing
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees