New York News
NYPD officer shot in subway station heads home
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A New York City police officer who was shot in the line of duty was released from the hospital Wednesday.
Detective Kevin Herlihy, an 18-year veteran, was shot Tuesday during a gun battle in a Manhattan subway station. He left New York Presbyterian Hospital-Columbia Presbyterian around 10:30 a.m. Wednesday and immediately headed to his Lynbrook, Long Island, home to see his three children, including a 13-month-old daughter.
"I just want to go home and wish my wife a happy Valentine's Day," he said.
Herlihy, 47, followed shooting suspect Michael McBride into the subway station in Hamilton Heights around 4:15 p.m. Tuesday. McBride opened fire and was shot dead.
Herlihy is being praised for his actions in dealing with the violent suspect, who allegedly shot his girlfriend's 25-year-old daughter in the head earlier in the day. She remains in critical condition.
Officers searching for the 52-year-old McBride found him concealing a gun inside a newspaper as he entered the 145th Street station.
Herlihy is part of a squad in Queens that hunts wanted felons, and was dressed in plainclothes while tracking McBride near the man's Harlem apartment. Police say McBride spotted the officers and responded by shooting Herlihy in the shoulder. The officer was able to return fire, fatally striking McBride in the chest.
"Fortunately, we had another miraculous outcome today, with an officer shot at close range, just 10 feet away," NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly said. "He not only survived, but was able to stop his assailant from shooting anyone else."
McBride had been on parole for robbery and had an extensive criminal record, police said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, police officer shot, nypd, manhattan, hamilton heights, police shooting, new york news
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park