New York News
Elderly man robbed, pushed on subway tracks
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police in Brooklyn are looking for two teens who robbed an elderly man on a subway platform.
"I say, 'Somebody took the phone! Somebody took the phone!'" described Andrew Wang, robbery victim.
But 81-year-old Andrew Wang wasn't about to give up his new iPhone 4S, at least not without a fight.
It happened on the platform for the M-train at Lorimer Street in Williamsburg last Friday.
Wang was holding his iPhone, just checking the time, when police say the young man in a surveillance picture tried to grab it from Mr. Wang's hands.
First Wang says he wouldn't let go, but the suspect ripped the phone right out of the rubber case. "I just yell and chase," Wang said.
Perhaps it was just his immediate reaction, but he says he soon realized, it wouldn't work.
"I cannot catch him. (So why'd you chase him?) To make everybody notice," Wang said.
He says the platform was filled with people, but many of them may have been too scared to help.
"Suddenly, another guy, just push me," Wang said.
Police say a second young suspect shoved Mr. Wang off of the platform and down onto the elevated train tracks.
Mr. Wang doesn't remember much after that, but he did spend three nights in the hospital, for his injuries.
He now has nerve damage in his ankle and injuries to his shoulder and chest.
"I'm not a very strong man, strong enough to survive this," Wang said.
Now by no means does this 81-year-old consider himself a "techy" but when asked whether he'll get a new iPhone 4S, well he says he may wait for the newer model.
"Maybe 4 gone, 5 to come," Wang said.
The first suspect is described as black male, 16-18 years old, approximately 6'0", wearing a black Adidas hooded sweatshirt, black sneakers and blue jeans.
The second suspect is described as black male, 16-18 years old, approximately 5'8", wearing a red shirt, blue jeans and white sneakers.
Anyone with information in regards to any of these robberies is asked to call the NYPD's Crime Stoppers Hotline at 800-577-TIPS.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, robbery, new york news, stacey sager
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- Fort Lee students to make up snow days
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Ferry service to resume between Haverstraw, Ossining
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos