New York News
Cardinal Dolan feeds hungry, celebrates mass for Ash Wednesday
VATICAN CITY -- Newly elevated Cardinal Timothy Dolan said Wednesday that his new status was unimportant compared to the plight of poverty-stricken New Yorkers.
"The fact that I'm wearing red amounts to a hill of beans," Dolan said as he distributed bags of food to the hungry at St. Francis Assisi church in Manhattan on his first full day at home since returning from Rome. He was referring to the red hats and vestments worn by cardinals.
He later celebrated Mass at St. Patrick's Cathedral, his first since becoming cardinal of the nation's largest Roman Catholic archdiocese. Several hundred people packed the church to hear the Mass or receive Lenten ashes. The day marked Ash Wednesday, the first day of the Lenten season.
Dolan was among 22 Catholic churchmen who were elevated to cardinal by Pope Benedict XVI at the Vatican on Saturday.
"I think he's a great person," said Jeanne Howard of Manhattan as she waited for eight relatives from Massachusetts to attend the noontime Mass at St. Patrick's.
She said Dolan's predecessor, Cardinal Edward Egan, "was a nice person but he just didn't have a New York personality - you know, outgoing and friendly."
She said she felt Dolan's new status as cardinal was "prestigious."
"It's all a plus," Howard added.
The brief Mass - about a half hour - ended with applause from worshippers.
Dolan marked some of them with the Lenten ashes as they came forward.
Instead of cardinal red, he wore purple vestments, a color that symbolizes the pain and suffering of Christ in the Bible.
Melissa Hawkes of Gorham, Maine, stood on the steps with her 9-year-old daughter and 11-year-old son taking in the growing crowd outside the church before the start of the Mass.
"We're here for the experience," she said. "It's a social experience and people come for the community."
Cardinals are the pope's top advisers. They are the elite group of churchmen who will eventually elect Benedict's successor.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, cardinal timothy dolan, new york news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler 29 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway 39 min ago
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Suspect questioned after body found in container 21 min ago
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- Pope Francis celebrates Easter with prayers for peace 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
29 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos