New York News
Infant tossed from window during Queens fire
SOUTH JAMAICA (WABC) -- An infant was thrown to safety during a suspicious fire in South Jamaica, Queens, that sent six residents to the hospital.
Authorities believe the fire was intentionally set and that someone threw a firebomb through the front door of the home on corner of Rockaway Boulevard and 144th Street.
The child was dropped from the second-floor window into the waiting arms of a Good Samaritan, who pulled up on the Rockaway Boulevard home when he saw the smoke and flames just before 3 a.m. Thursday.
Firefighters from Engine Company 302/Ladder Company 155 ran from their firehouse, located directly across the street, to battle the blaze after they heard a loud boom and screaming.
Several residents were hanging out the second floor windows when firefighters arrived. Firefighters stopped a 5- or 6-year-old girl who was about to jump, raising a ladder to her in time.
The other residents were also rescued from the home.
The six residents, including the infant and the young girl, were taken to Jamaica Hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation. Three firefighters also sustained non-life threatening injuries.
The residents stayed in their apartments and left their doors closed, keeping the flames from spreading from the stairway.
The investigation is ongoing.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, jamaica, queens, fire, fire rescue, new york news
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Stormy day 56 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Man hacked to death in apparent terror attack
- Queens businessman kidnapped and tortured
- Operation Swill: cheap booze in premium liquor bottles 59 min ago
- Funeral for Hofstra student accidentally shot by police
- Oklahoma tornado damage toll mounting
- Secret Sales: Brownies, Diamonds and a super secret sale
- abcnews: Man Shot by FBI Was About to Sign Murder...
- OTRC: 'Man of Steel' trailer, with General Zod
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help, Get Help
- AccuWeather: Stormy day
56 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos