New York News
Infant tossed from window during Queens fire
SOUTH JAMAICA (WABC) -- An infant was thrown to safety during a suspicious fire in South Jamaica, Queens, that sent six residents to the hospital.
Authorities believe the fire was intentionally set and that someone threw a firebomb through the front door of the home on corner of Rockaway Boulevard and 144th Street.
The child was dropped from the second-floor window into the waiting arms of a Good Samaritan, who pulled up on the Rockaway Boulevard home when he saw the smoke and flames just before 3 a.m. Thursday.
Firefighters from Engine Company 302/Ladder Company 155 ran from their firehouse, located directly across the street, to battle the blaze after they heard a loud boom and screaming.
Several residents were hanging out the second floor windows when firefighters arrived. Firefighters stopped a 5- or 6-year-old girl who was about to jump, raising a ladder to her in time.
The other residents were also rescued from the home.
The six residents, including the infant and the young girl, were taken to Jamaica Hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation. Three firefighters also sustained non-life threatening injuries.
The residents stayed in their apartments and left their doors closed, keeping the flames from spreading from the stairway.
The investigation is ongoing.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, jamaica, queens, fire, fire rescue, new york news
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son