New York News
Good Samaritan dies after heroic actions
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A month after his heroic actions, a Good Samaritan dies from his injuries.
Now, his family has one request from the man whose life he saved.
"It's destroying us right now but all we want is for Jonathan to come out and say thank you to Steven, he's a hero, he saved your life," relative Belinda Martinez said.
It is salt in a very fresh would, something Belinda Martinez and her family say they can't get over, the fact that Jonathan Parisen hasn't called or met with them face to face.
"Everybody deals with things in their own way. Maybe he's afraid, now Steven's not here, he should come forward, maybe he feels guilty," friend Maritza Lucas said.
You see Jonathan and Steven Santiago were strangers but both happened to at the New Dorp station in Staten Island at about 1:30 a.m. on January 8th. For some reason, there are reports that Jonathan was intoxicated and that his shoe fell on the tracks.
Steven spotted him and helped him back up onto the platform.
Then, Steven, who was out of breathe, bent over.
At the same time, a train was coming through.
It clipped the 39-year-old in the head.
Both men were taken here to Staten Island University Hospital.
Jonathan was soon released.
Steven never regained consciousness and died Saturday morning.
"If he had a coat on his back and you had none, he would give you his, he was just a very good person," friend Raina Martinez said.
Considered a hero and so they can't understand why Jonathan hasn't reached out to them.
Saturday afternoon on Facebook, he wrote, "I was just informed that Steven Santiago passed away today. My prayers go out to Steven and his family. God bless."
This grieving family feels the message misses the mark.
"I think it says a lot more when you come forward to meet with the family, to know who Steven was," Raina Martina said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, staten island, new york news
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week 14 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor-elect de Blasio announces first appointments 4 min ago
- Most Metro-North service resumes on Hudson Line
- Moriches boat crash injures 3 fishermen
- Search for missing teenager in Linden, New Jersey
- Woman's body discovered in Rochelle Park 18 min ago
- Wake for one of high school sweethearts killed in crash
- 5-year old girl from East Harlem missing 25 min ago
- Prospect Park Zoo welcomes two new Zebus 30 min ago
- Newtown 911 calls to be released Wednesday
- 'Fast & Furious 7' halted after Paul Walker's death
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week
14 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos