New York News
8-year-old shot at bodega released from hospital
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Armando Bego is in good spirits despite all that he's been through, and despite the neck brace he's wearing after his release from the hospital.
"I thought I was going stay there forever," Bego said.
The 8-year-old was shot almost a week ago and is doing remarkably well.
"Yea I'm sore, nothing hurts," Bego said.
Last Tuesday, he was in a Bronx store on Randall Avenue.
It was around 8 p.m. when the gunshots rang out.
What you see on the store surveillance video is the result of the shooting, several people scrambling for cover.
Armando's mother says she remembers screaming and going to grab him.
In the video you can see Armando grabbing his left shoulder after he's hit.
Police have arrested a 15-year-old.
Investigators believe he was targeting someone else outside the bodega but he ended up hitting Armando.
The 8-year-old is brave and tough!
"In my back," Armando Bego said as he described where a piece of the bullet is still lodged.
Although he insists it doesn't hurt, for those who love him, it will no doubt continue to be a painful reminder of how close they came to losing him.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, child shot, bronx, new york news, jeff pegues
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act