New York News
8-year-old shot at bodega released from hospital
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Armando Bego is in good spirits despite all that he's been through, and despite the neck brace he's wearing after his release from the hospital.
"I thought I was going stay there forever," Bego said.
The 8-year-old was shot almost a week ago and is doing remarkably well.
"Yea I'm sore, nothing hurts," Bego said.
Last Tuesday, he was in a Bronx store on Randall Avenue.
It was around 8 p.m. when the gunshots rang out.
What you see on the store surveillance video is the result of the shooting, several people scrambling for cover.
Armando's mother says she remembers screaming and going to grab him.
In the video you can see Armando grabbing his left shoulder after he's hit.
Police have arrested a 15-year-old.
Investigators believe he was targeting someone else outside the bodega but he ended up hitting Armando.
The 8-year-old is brave and tough!
"In my back," Armando Bego said as he described where a piece of the bullet is still lodged.
Although he insists it doesn't hurt, for those who love him, it will no doubt continue to be a painful reminder of how close they came to losing him.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, child shot, bronx, new york news, jeff pegues
- At least 8 hurt when car jumps curb in East Village 7 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Robbery suspect dead in Brooklyn police shooting
- Worker pulled from waist-deep mud in Queens trench
- One of US FBI's 10 most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- New York City redesigns flood map in Sandy's wake
- Natura recalls all brands of dry pet food
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe 51 min ago
- JFK terminal among endangered historic sites
- Photos: Most endangered historic places
- Photos: Queens trench rescue 5 min ago