New York News
8-year-old shot at bodega released from hospital
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Armando Bego is in good spirits despite all that he's been through, and despite the neck brace he's wearing after his release from the hospital.
"I thought I was going stay there forever," Bego said.
The 8-year-old was shot almost a week ago and is doing remarkably well.
"Yea I'm sore, nothing hurts," Bego said.
Last Tuesday, he was in a Bronx store on Randall Avenue.
It was around 8 p.m. when the gunshots rang out.
What you see on the store surveillance video is the result of the shooting, several people scrambling for cover.
Armando's mother says she remembers screaming and going to grab him.
In the video you can see Armando grabbing his left shoulder after he's hit.
Police have arrested a 15-year-old.
Investigators believe he was targeting someone else outside the bodega but he ended up hitting Armando.
The 8-year-old is brave and tough!
"In my back," Armando Bego said as he described where a piece of the bullet is still lodged.
Although he insists it doesn't hurt, for those who love him, it will no doubt continue to be a painful reminder of how close they came to losing him.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, child shot, bronx, new york news, jeff pegues
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Hate crime charge in attack on Columbia Univ. professor
- Suspect questioned after body found in container
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76 16 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 19 min ago
- Up Close with Diana Williams
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos