New York News
NYPD officer accused of crashing cruiser drunk
NEW YORK (WABC) -- An NYPD officer is accused of driving drunk in his police cruiser.
You can still see the damage on Schenck Avenue in East New York.
It's the end result of a cop car crashing into a utility pole early Tuesday morning.
The officer behind the wheel, 31-year-old Christopher Morris, who ironically had been to the diner across the street where there was drinking at a benefit for a fallen friend, hero cop Peter Figoski.
He worked at the very same precinct, and was shot in the line of duty last December.
Witnesses say it was 4:20 a.m. when Officer Morris slammed his cruiser into the poll and then the poll hit an SUV.
"He checked himself, like he was shocked that he was still alive I guess after hitting the pole so hard. He came across and kind of shocked and dazed out," said Alexis Mercedes, a witness.
According to a criminal complaint against Morris he had all the signs of driving drunk: slurred speech, red, watery eyes, the odor of alcohol, and an unsteady gait.
He then told investigators, "I was driving and I had a few drinks".
At issue is not only that Morris allegedly started his midnight shift at the 75th precinct after having drinks, but also that he allegedly left his shift on a break, to head back to the party for more.
"Two of the supervisors involved who were working at this command were placed on modified assignment, because there are questions as to the level of supervision," Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said.
Police are now looking at video from a surveillance camera after reports of a passenger in Morris' cruiser, possibly another officer, who got out and ran.
Police Commissioner Ray Kelly had some words about police allegedly drinking on the job.
"Obviously we don't tolerate it, you have to be fit for duty at all times, and if you're not, then you're subject to the consequences," Kelly said.
Morris refused to take a breathalyzer test. He is now suspended without pay.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, east new york, drunk driving, nypd, new york news, stacey sager
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union 56 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87 29 min ago
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Deal reached on calming Ukraine tensions
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- Mug shot released of McNabb after Ariz. arrest