New York News
Home health aide arrested in elderly assault
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A home health aide is facing assault and harassment charges in Queens Thursday.
Police say 48-year-old Ramdai Narine is accused of beating 90-year-old Bernice Turner who was in her care.
"When I think about what happened to my sister, (cries) I'm sorry," said Ruby Moe, the victim's sister.
As if it isn't hard enough to watch her big sister's slow decline, Ruby Moe says the actions of a trusted home health aide are simply devastating.
"It hurts to think that somebody would do that to somebody who can't help themselves," Moe said.
Bernice Turner is 90 years old and barely 90 pounds.
If you look closely at her, you can see her black eye and other bruises she sustained, when police say 48-year-old Ramdai Narine assaulted the elderly woman as she lay helpless, in bed.
"I think she hit her and she was pinching her face and mashing her down into the bed or something," Moe said.
Nicole Williams is Turner's granddaughter and a city EMT who says the signs of abuse are unmistakable.
For the past three months, Narine has been working the overnight shift to care for Turner.
Wednesday morning, the aide who relieved her noticed the bruises and sounded the alarm.
Narine works for an agency called At Home Solutions.
"We were all appalled because we never expect any of our aides to do such a thing," said a representative for At Home Solutions.
Her bosses say Narine passed a strict background check with flying colors, but they immediately suspended her when the allegations surfaced.
Now, as Bernice Turner's family gets ready for her 91st birthday party this weekend, her little sister Ruby wants Narine to pay.
"That lady betrayed our trust. That's what she did, all we ask is justice," Moe said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, assault, elderly abuse, queens, new york news, josh einiger
- St. Pat's parade proceeds amid tension over gays 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Afternoon
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Los Angeles earthquake felt by residents 7 min ago
- Shelton teen critical after being shot in head 6 min ago
- Cop shoots pit bull in Bronx apartment building
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast investigation ramps up
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Crimea parliament declares independence after vote
- Chris Brown kicked out of rehab, facing jail time
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- St. Pat's parade proceeds amid tension over...
5 min ago