New York News
Men attempt pharmacy robbery, 1 dressed as woman
NEW YORK (WABC) -- King Pharmacy has been around for 15 years, and has never had a robbery until workers opened up Wednesday morning and came face to face with two men, a gun and a desperate demand for prescription drugs.
Two surprises accompanied the two people who walked into the pharmacy: the woman was actually a man and he had a gun.
Shaik Rahim warned his boss in the back of the store. Soon the gunman in drag confronted pharmacist Sam Bakar and told him to get on the floor.
"I was really scared for my life. I thought if I got down on the floor, maybe he'd kill me," Bakar said.
Bakar's policy is not to fight back, but he thought he was about to be murdered.
"I thought if we have to die, let me do a little fighting," Bakar said.
Twice, the thief hit him in the head with the gun and then demanded Oxycontin and Percocet.
Suddenly, the wig fell off. Bakar headed for the panic button, but panicked, and he accidentally pushed the front door alarm.
The robbers ran off. Now police want to find them.
"Sometimes I feel a little nervous because they can come back again," Rahim said.
"I thought this was the last day of my life," Bakar said.
The thieves didn't wind up stealing anything. They couldn't open the cash register and they never got the Oxycontin and Percocet they demanded.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, robbery, new york news, jamie roth
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze to be laid to rest
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring
- Baby critical after DWI firefighter hits pregnant woman
- Man stiffs livery cab driver, punches him in the face
- Obama's warnings brushed aside by Russia's Vladimir Putin
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- $270 million up for grabs in Friday Mega Millions drawing
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos