New York News
Pedro Espada Jr. federal trial begins Wednesday
NEW YORK -- Former state senator Pedro Espada Jr. is facing embezzlement charges involving his health care clinics in a federal trial.
Espada and his son have been accused of using state grants directed to the Soundview Health Center in the Bronx.
Authorities say the money was used to pay for Broadway tickets, a down payment on a Bentley and a birthday party pony. Prosecutors say the spending of more than $500,000 also included tickets for sporting events and concerts, posh restaurant tabs and a petting zoo.
Opening statements were likely to begin Wednesday following jury selection.
Espada has described the prosecution by the U.S. attorney's office and then-state Attorney General Andrew Cuomo as a political "witch hunt." The charges ultimately cost him his state Senate seat.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, pedro espada, new york news
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 48 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming 47 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions 49 min ago
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- LIE in Suffolk County reopens
- Family pushes for drug/alcohol testing after fatal accidents
- EXCLUSIVE: Suspect arrested in 'knockout' assaults
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral arrangements announced
- Photos: Scared Santa
- Anchorman 2 cast talks about much-anticipated sequel
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup...
47 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos