New York News
Mighty Milers Club in P.S. 321
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Simone Islip is a 3 foot 11, thirty plus pound running machine.
It's mind numbing fun and simple for these kids at P.S. 321 in Park Slope. They run laps at recess a program called the Mighty Milers Club. Once they hit 26.2 miles, it's considered a marathon and they get a medal. Since the program started, 2nd grader Islip has run 201 miles.
Nicoleta Nerangis is the architect of all this fun. She worked with the New York Road Runners Club to provide the program after some encouragement from her son, who has 104.4 miles to his credit.
Now there are more than 600 kids signed up ranging from 2nd grade to 5th grade.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york city marathon, new york news
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- Fort Lee students to make up snow days
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Ferry service to resume between Haverstraw, Ossining
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures