New York News
Mighty Milers Club in P.S. 321
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Simone Islip is a 3 foot 11, thirty plus pound running machine.
It's mind numbing fun and simple for these kids at P.S. 321 in Park Slope. They run laps at recess a program called the Mighty Milers Club. Once they hit 26.2 miles, it's considered a marathon and they get a medal. Since the program started, 2nd grader Islip has run 201 miles.
Nicoleta Nerangis is the architect of all this fun. She worked with the New York Road Runners Club to provide the program after some encouragement from her son, who has 104.4 miles to his credit.
Now there are more than 600 kids signed up ranging from 2nd grade to 5th grade.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york city marathon, new york news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 22 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives 35 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem 21 min ago
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
22 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
35 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos