New York News
Teacher uses CPR to save woman on lunch break
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A teacher on her lunch break in Brooklyn quickly jumped into action to help save the life of a young woman.
"I was happy to be in the right place at the right time," said Cassandra Byrd-Scolaro, a hero teacher.
Cassandra Byrd-Scolaro learned CPR to be a first responder at her school, PS 17 in Williamsburg.
She never expected to use her life-saving skills during her lunch break at a local restaurant.
"You don't think, you just do it. Everything was going through my head that I learned," Bryd-Scolaro said.
Bryd-Scolaro had just started eating her lunch at S and B Restaurant when a table of plainclothes detectives began questioning why a young woman had been in the bathroom for 10 minutes with the water running.
"I heard someone say, 'Get the key, Open the bathroom door!'"Bryd-Scolaro said.
When the chef finally opened the door, they found they young woman passed out on the floor. She was not moving, not breathing and had only a weak pulse.
Bryd-Scolaro sprung into action.
Bryd-Scolaro began doing chest compressions while other bystanders called 911.
She did them for at least four minutes until paramedics arrived, she performed CPR.
"That lady is a hero without a doubt, without her that lady would have died," said Nico Ibanez, the restaurant manager.
By the time the 25-year old victim was lifted into an ambulance, she was awake and breathing.
When Bryd-Scolaro approached her, the woman gave her the finger, some thanks for the woman who had just saved her life.
"I didn't take offense to what she did and if I had to do it again, I would have done what I did again," Bryd-Scolaro said.
The restaurant staff says police found a needle and a spoon in the bathroom, leading them to suspect the woman overdosed on drugs.
Bryd-Scolaro says she hopes the woman makes the most of her second chance.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, rescue, new york news, jen maxfield
- East Harlem investigators seeking clues in basement
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- Brooklyn shooting leaves 4 boys wounded
- NYC Sanitation Commissioner John Doherty retiring
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Malaysian leader: plane's system deliberately disabled
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $400 million
- Photos: Several vehicles on fire in New Jersey