New York News
Memorial for bicyclists and pedestrians killed in New York City
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Friends and relatives of accident victims held the first in a series of ceremonies unveiling ghost bike memorials for bicyclists and pedestrians killed on New York City streets in 2011.
The memorial bike ride and walk began in Staten Island, where a vigil was held in the Grymes Hill section.
That's where 29-year-old R.J. Ttillman was struck and killed by a hit-and-run driver last month.
Police are still searching for that driver.
A lone bicycle, painted white, is set up where tillman was killed, and it's where mourners paused to remember their friend.
"We ride and walk with love in our hearts, with sadness for what has been lost, with rage that these crashes did not have to happen, and with hope that we never have to do this again,", said one of the participants.
After the brief ceremony, participants rode and walked through the five boroughs to remember 21 other bicyclists and 134 pedestrians killed last year.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bicyclist killed, pedestrian struck, new york news
- At least 2 dead, 64 hurt in East Harlem explosion 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 4 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 8 min ago
- Video: 2 men describe pulling child out of rubble
- Survivors describe explosion in East Harlem 18 min ago
- Before East Harlem Explosion, resident remembers gas smell 20 min ago
- Video: East Harlem Explosion on social media 38 min ago
- Video: Dozens injured in East Harlem explosion 30 min ago
- Video: Damages throught neighborhood after East... 30 min ago
- raw video: Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
- Metro-North service restored after East Harlem explosion 25 min ago
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
4 min ago