New York News
Housing scam warning for potential renters
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Scammers are always coming up with new ways to rip you off.
There is a new warning about people trying to trick you into renting a home that they don't own.
It didn't take long for Lorienny Jimenez of the Bronx to realize the online listing for a $700 a month, 2-bedroom rental in Yonkers was bogus.
"He said, 'I want a thousand deposit and we'll send you a package.' I said, 'Just forget about it,'" Jimenez said.
Realtors in the northern suburbs say they've seen an alarming number of online scammers who cut and paste pictures of legitimate for sale properties and re-post them as available rentals on websites like Craigslist and Trulia.
Then, they demand money for a security deposit or first month's rent before disappearing into cyber-space.
"It's happening more and more lately, and I believe this is happening throughout the country, five to six times in the last month," said Geoffrey Berry, of Houlihan Lawrence.
Berry offers these tips for potential renters:
-Always verify the homeowner. Demand to see the property's title or deed.
-Call a local real estate agent to see if the property is listed for sale or for rent.
-Do your homework. Learn as much as you can about the property.
Without any physical evidence or even real names, investigators acknowledge it's difficult to track down the online scammers.
It's just one more reason why would-be renters need to be on the alert.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, housing, scams, new york news, joe torres
- Retired NYPD officer charged in wife's murder
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Brooklyn man dies in skydiving accident in New Jersey
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Boston Marathon goes off under tight security
- Teen survives flight riding in wheel well of Hawaii jet
- Woman charged in fatal hit-and-run in Stamford
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Coney Island double stabbing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Lindsay Lohan admits miscarriage on her reality show
- Photos: Lindsay Lohan in pictures
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos