New York News
Police search for man who burglarized 14 apartments
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police in Manhattan are searching for a suspect wanted for burglarizing 14 apartments all in Washington Heights and Hamilton Heights.
The burglaries began back on September 4, 2011 with the most recent taking place on Thursday, March 8, 2012.
The suspect has stolen computers, cell phones and other electronics, along with clothing, jewelry, cash, rare coins, and cigarettes.
In all of the incidents, all of the apartment doors containing peepholes had been rubbed with petroleum jelly in an effort to obstruct the view.
There were no injuries reported.
The suspect is described as a Hispanic man, age 50-60, with a dark complexion, close cut hair, clean shaven and carrying a can.
He wears a Yankees baseball cap and dark glasses.
Monday evening at 6:20 p.m. someone called 911 and said they saw a man climb up scaffolding and break into a second floor apartment at 825 West 187th Street through a window.
Police flooded the area and the 27-year-old man was arrested. He did not live in the apartment, and it was ransacked.
Detectives are looking into whether the suspect arrested is the Vaseline Burglar, but they're not hopeful because the suspect arrested was 27, which does not match the description of the Vaseline Burglar, who is believed to be in his 50's.
Charges against Monday's suspect are pending. He has been arrested several times in the past for burglaries in the area.
Anyone with information in regards to any of the incidents is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477).
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, hamilton heights, washington heights, new york news
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- 3 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card 9 min ago
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Man says he was unjustly pepper sprayed by police
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos