New York News
Off-duty correction officer shot outside Queens diner
NEW YORK (WABC) -- New York City police are on the hunt for the gunman who shot an off-duty correction officer outside a popular diner in Queens.
A troubling text message apparently led to the shooting, which happened just before 11 p.m. outside the USA Diner on Merrick Boulevard in the Rosedale section.
The female officer, who works at a women's facility on Rikers Island, was inside the diner with a man for just a short period of time before the message arrived. The couple had just ordered a cup of tea before witnesses said they abruptly got up to leave.
A few minutes later, after the couple apparently got in an argument, several shots were fired. The 28-year-old woman was wounded in the stomach area, reportedly shot several times. She got into a red SUV and drove to the front of the diner, where she called for help.
The gunman, believed to be her boyfriend, took off in a white 2001 BMW. The officer was conscious while the paramedics were treating here.
The diner's manager said the couple left very quickly.
"They both came in and sat down...and she looked like she was a little nervous," Tony Smalls said. "And they only stayed like 10 minutes.They got up and they left."
The officer was taken to Jamaica Hospital, where she is listed in stable condition after extensive surgery. A bullet still remains lodged near her spine, according to authorities.
She was not in uniform at the time, and her identity has not been released.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, shooting, rosedale, queens, police officer shot, domestic violence, new york news, anthony johnson
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 59 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son