New York News
Arrest made in Staten Island groom killing
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police say the suspect in a Staten Island stabbing where a man attending his own engagement party died, is in custody in Chicago.
"We, we, we don't even know how to react to the news," said James Caravuna, the victim's brother-in-law.
Word that his brother-in-law's alleged killer is now behind bars left James Caravuna momentarily speechless as he spoke with reporters outside the funeral home where family and friends are remembering Antonio Lacertosa.
Just hours after celebrating his engagement party, the 27-year old was stabbed to death during a brawl outside the Espana Restaurant early Saturday morning.
35-year-old Redinal Dervishaj, an alleged Albanian gangster, was arrested Tuesday in Chicago at a relative's home.
He's been described as a worker at the restaurant, but police say he fled after the stabbing.
This isn't Dervishaj's first brush with the law in New York.
Back in 2007, he was convicted in connection with a gangland extortion attempt in Queens and sentenced to time served.
There is reportedly security camera video that shows Dervishaj in the confrontation outside the Espana Restaurant, though the actual stabbing was off camera.
For now, those who knew and loved Antonio Lacertosa say the arrest provides little comfort or closure.
"On the day that it happened, I guess that's a sign of some sort, but we just want to do what we need to do to keep him in our memory," Caravuna said
Detectives will bring Dervishaj back to Staten Island to face charges.
His brother is also connected to Albanian crime, and is wanted by federal authorities.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, staten island, stabbing, new york news, sandra bookman
- I-5 bridge collapses into Skagit River
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues 19 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Actress Amanda Bynes arrested in Midtown
- Heavy rain sparks flash flooding
- Officer arrested in firebombing of captain's home
- Jury deadlocked on Jodi Arias penalty
- Boy attacked by another on city bus, video
- Woman arrested in shooting death of Jersey City boy
- Anthony Weiner starts stumping in mayoral bid
- Rangers stay alive with OT goal against Bruins
- abcnews: 'Extremely Active' Potential For Hurricane...
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
19 min ago