New York News
Brand new playground vandalized in Queens
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A brand-new playground slated to open this summer in Queens is in ruins thanks to vandals.
The playground, located on Beach 29th Street in Far Rockaway, was nearly complete.
Police say vandals stole an excavator parked in the area overnight and rammed through a chain link fence. They then wrecked the new equipment, including slides.
A security fence is back up around the park. but the playground equipment is still broken. The vandals caused 100-thousand dollars worth of damage.
"I'm furious!! I mean this is terrible. Don't do things to hurt children," Queens Borough President Helen Marshall said.
Police are investigating, but the case is perplexing. What's the motive? How was it done? Someone somehow got a key to a backhoe and at 4:00 Tuesday morning they broke it, started it up and started driving all over the playground damaging almost every piece of equipment.
To operate that tractor you need to use your hands and feet. It isn't easy, and that's a good clue for police.
"It had to be someone who had been on a construction site before to operate. I mean it's not like a lawn mower, riding mower that you and I could do," Community Board District Manager Jonathan Gaska said.
Neighbors in Far Rockaway came to look at all the damage on Wednesday.
"It was supposed to open up in the summer and now we don't even know if kids are going to be able to come here at all this year and enjoy the park because of someone's stupidity," parent Tanya Jimenez said.
The Parks Department is still hoping to open up sometime this summer. In total, it's a 30-million dollar investment.
If you have any information about who did it, contact police at (718) 868-3400."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, queens, vandalism, new york news, dave evans
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter
- NYC rape-murder cannibal conspiracy trial headed to jury 54 min ago
- Brothers plead guilty in Orthodox Jewish divorce scandal
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys 31 min ago
- Elderly jaywalker roughed up during arrest due in court 41 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos