New York News
5 arrested as Occupy protesters clash with police
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The NYPD made a fresh batch of arrests overnight Wednesday during a tense standoff with Occupy Wall Street protesters.
The demonstrators tried to set up camp in Union Square Park, but they were met by police.
It was a night of action for both sides, as the Occupy movement migrated from Zuccotti Park to Union Square. There was a lot of pushing and shoving as officers tried to clear the sidewalk of more than 200 people. Police say five people were arrested.
The Sanitation Department was also on the scene, taking down signs and removing debris. They also removed a few bricks.
One officer was hurt in the scuffle, and one protester fell during the scrum and had to be taken from the scene by ambulance.
About 20 protesters remain in the park after what ended up being a stalemate.
"They kicked us out of Zuccotti Park, Liberty Square, and we've been out here since a couple of days ago," one protesters said. "And all of our friends are just now getting out of jail, and I think this is honestly just absolutely ridiculous."
The park reopened around 6 a.m.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, union square, occupy wall street, nypd, new york news, anthony johnson
- Missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy possibly found 43 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 40 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins 27 min ago
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy possibly...
43 min ago