New York News
Cops: Staten Island man held woman for ransom
STATEN ISLAND (WABC) -- A Staten Island man is under arrest, accused of holding a woman against her will and trying to extort money from her mother.
Police say the 35-year-old victim met 30-year-old Rudy Santana for drinks in New York City over the weekend. She was then held by Santana at his home.
The suspect reportedly contacted the woman's 62-year-old mother, who lives in New Hyde Park, demanding a ransom for her release. Authorities say the mother sent $200 in money grams on Monday and Tuesday.
When Santana then asked for $2,000, the mother called police. The victim was recovered, unharmed, and Santana was arrested.
He is facing grand larceny charges.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, staten island, new hyde park, long island, new york news, n.j. burkett
- Designer L'Wren Scott dead in apparent suicide 45 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Afternoon
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- St. Pat's parade proceeds amid tension over gays
- Shelton teen critical after being shot in head
- Cop shoots pit bull in Bronx apartment building
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast investigation ramps up
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Crimea parliament declares independence after vote
- Los Angeles earthquake felt by residents
- Photos: Dancing With The Stars Season 18 cast
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon