New York News
Occupy movement joins in Million Hoodie March
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The deadly shooting of an unarmed teenager by a neighborhood watch captain is sparking outrage in New York and across the country, and now, the Occupy Wall Street Movement is getting involved.
Trayvon Martin's family meets with the justice department Thursday to demand answers about the way their son's shooting was handled by local police in Florida. But on Wednesday night, hundreds rallied in Union Square Park as Martin's parents spoke to the crowd.
"My son did not deserve to die," Tracy Martin said after thanking those who participated in a march in the teenager's memory.
Demonstrators chanting "we want arrests" converged on for what was dubbed the Million Hoodie March.
Sybrina Fulton, Trayvon Martin's mother, told the crowd: "My heart is in pain, but to see the support of all of you really makes a difference."
Meantime, calls for the arrest of shooter George Zimmerman growing.
The NYPD says there were no arrests, despite how rowdy things got. Then, it was back to the financial district for Occupy Wall Street.
Protesters stormed the iconic bull statue, flattening metal barricades and racing past police officers. In moments, the bull was surrounded, then mounted. Two demonstrators stood atop it, fists-high, defiant as police rushed in with reinforcements.
Trayvon Martin, 17, was killed February 26, in Sanford, Florida. He was returning to a gated community in the city after buying candy at a convenience store. He was unarmed and was wearing a hooded sweat shirt.
Zimmerman says he killed martin in self-defense. He has not been charged with any crime, but civil rights activists are calling for action.
City commissioners in Sanford have cast a no confidence vote against the police chief handling the case. They're now calling for the chief's resignation.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, shooting, teen, child killed, occupy wall street, new york news
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center 37 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way 31 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death 55 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 52 min ago
- Missing jet drastically veered off course 49 min ago
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
31 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam...
52 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos