New York News
Baby giraffe born at Bronx Zoo
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The Bronx Zoo has released pictures of a new female giraffe calf born this month.
The zoo says the calf stays close to her mother in the Carter Giraffe Building and will be making her debut in about a week.
The baby giraffe was 6 feet tall and over 100 pounds at birth.
Giraffes are native to grasslands, savannas, and open woodlands in central, east, and southern Africa. The Baringo, or Rothschild's, giraffe is found in western Kenya and eastern Uganda.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- VIDEO: Obama remembers Mandela
- L train signal problems in Brooklyn
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner
- Police search for suspect in Brooklyn shooting
- Search for suspects in subway attack on two women
- Derailment victim, James Ferrari, laid to rest
- Knicks crush Nets 113-83