New York News
Injured firefighter released from hospital
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A New York City firefighter badly burned in a fire finally headed home on Friday.
Wiedmann suffered burns to 54 percent of his body and has undergone 10 operations, all of which required skin grafts.
Wiedmann was rescued in the fire by his colleagues, desperate to save his life, after a mayday call sent them scrambling.
There had been reports that someone was trapped, and Wiedmann and firefighter James Gersbeck were both badly burned during the search.
What they did not know is that the tenants were not home at the time of the fire.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, firefighter injured, new york news
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ