New York News
Person of interest identified in deadly train fight
WILLIAMSBURG (WABC) -- Police in Brooklyn have identified the man they say caused another man to be hit and killed by a train.
Police want to question 33-year-old Ryan Beauchamp about the fight he allegedly had with 20-year-old Joshua Basin.
Basin's mother Zena is at a loss. Her son tumbled into the path of a New York City subway and was struck and killed.
20 year-old Joshua Basin had been out with friends. What led-up to his death is still not clear.
Detectives say it began with a dispute aboard the L-train at 10:30 on Friday night.
Witnesses say Basin was accosted by another man who was drunk and disorderly.
When the doors opened at Bedford Avenue, the dispute spilled out onto the platform.
Somehow, both men fell onto the tracks.
With an incoming train bearing-down on them, only one was able to escape.
The case is being treated as a homicide.
The suspect, believed to be Beauchamp, is in his early 30's.
He's thin, with a light complexion and dark blonde hair.
Witnesses say he has pock marks on right side of face.
He was wearing brown pants, black rain jacket and black sneakers. (CLICK HERE TO SEE THE SKETCH)
Just last Friday, Basin posted a picture of himself taken at Rockaway Beach 106th Street posing next to a train, jokingly writing, "It looks like I almost got hit by a train, lol."
And on the day he died, he posted this: "Friday's the best day of the week."
Basin studied pyschology at Laguardia Community College, but was also artistic. He loved music, art and poetry, and took acting classes.
His neighborhood buddies took it hard too, remembering their last conversation with their friend.
"I wish i would have told him I love him. I wish I would have told him, come hang out with me tomorrow," said one of Joshua's friends.
Anyone with information in regards to this incident is asked to call the NYPD's Crime Stoppers Hotline at 800-577-TIPS.
You can also submit their tips by logging onto the Crime Stoppers Website at WWW.NYPDCRIMESTOPPERS.COM or texting tips to 274637(CRIMES) then enter TIP577.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, williamsburg, train accident, new york news, n.j. burkett
- London theatre roof collapses; Dozens injured 27 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Sales: Last minute holiday gifts
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills 15 min ago
- 4 juveniles charges in possible knockout attacks
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos