New York News
'Operation Clean Halls' allows officers in buildings
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There is anger and action over part of the NYPD's "Stop and Frisk" program.
It stems from a tactic that allows them to question people in the hallways of their own buildings.
"You get to the point you don't feel like a human being," said Jacqueline Yates, a plaintiff.
Jacqueline Yates is one of a dozen New Yorkers who filed a class action lawsuit against the city.
The plaintiffs claim the tactics used in the NYPD's "Operation Clean Halls" program which grants police officers access to thousands of private apartment buildings are unconstitutional.
"The NYPD is using 'Operation Clean Halls' as an excuse to stop, question, frisk, detain and even arrest innocent people, including residents of the buildings," said Alexis Karteron, NYCLU.
Tenants told story after story of visiting friends and relatives arrested for trespassing; of sons and daughters harassed during a simple trip to the corner store; of missed days at work to fight false charges in court.
"My sister doesn't come to visit any more just because she is afraid of being harassed and being arrested just for coming to visit," said Fawn Bracy, a plaintiff.
"This will erode and continues to erode the confidence blacks and Latinos have in the police, the courts and the entire criminal justice system," said Juan Cartagena, Latino Justice, PRLDEF.
Police have access to the private buildings through written agreements with the landlords, agreements that could be rescinded.
"But remember, the permission itself does not give the police department nor could it the right to violate people's rights day in and day out," said Donna Lieberman, NYCLU Executive Director.
"I would suspect that probably the attorneys in this case live in buildings with doormen and they have a level of safety that people who live in tenements, which most of those buildings are, don't have," Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, nypd, stop and frisk, new york news, joe torres
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead 41 min ago
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch 26 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife 36 min ago
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon 28 min ago
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Granderson hits sac fly to lift Mets over Braves in 14 14 min ago
- Anna, Beltran key Yankees' 5-1, 12-inning win 5 min ago
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
26 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos