New York News
Girl, 5, drowns in bathtub in Bedford-Stuyvesant
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police are investigating the apparent drowning of a young girl in a bathtub in a Brooklyn apartment.
The incident happened around 7 p.m. in the Bedford-Stuyvesant section.
The 5-year-old girl was being watched by a 25-year-old man that neighbors say is the girl's stepfather, who left the bathroom for a few minutes and returned to find the girl unconscious.
She was rushed to Brookdale Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
The medical examiner has yet to determine the cause of death.
The man was being interviewed by police, but no charges have been filed. The man said that moments before the incident, the child was talking and that nothing seemed out of the ordinary.
Sources say officers have had contact with the family in the past, and that the girl had some kind of medical condition that may have impacted her equilibrium.
That is now a part of the investigation.
Authorities are trying to determine if any sort of crime was committed or if this was just a tragic accident.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bedford-stuyvesant, brooklyn, drowning, child death, new york news
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines