New York News
Girl, 5, drowns in bathtub in Bedford-Stuyvesant
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police are investigating the apparent drowning of a young girl in a bathtub in a Brooklyn apartment.
The incident happened around 7 p.m. in the Bedford-Stuyvesant section.
The 5-year-old girl was being watched by a 25-year-old man that neighbors say is the girl's stepfather, who left the bathroom for a few minutes and returned to find the girl unconscious.
She was rushed to Brookdale Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
The medical examiner has yet to determine the cause of death.
The man was being interviewed by police, but no charges have been filed. The man said that moments before the incident, the child was talking and that nothing seemed out of the ordinary.
Sources say officers have had contact with the family in the past, and that the girl had some kind of medical condition that may have impacted her equilibrium.
That is now a part of the investigation.
Authorities are trying to determine if any sort of crime was committed or if this was just a tragic accident.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bedford-stuyvesant, brooklyn, drowning, child death, new york news
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- Jersey City water main break isolated; Water back on
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued will stay together
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments 41 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos