New York News
Girl, 5, drowns in bathtub in Bedford-Stuyvesant
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police are investigating the apparent drowning of a young girl in a bathtub in a Brooklyn apartment.
The incident happened around 7 p.m. in the Bedford-Stuyvesant section.
The 5-year-old girl was being watched by a 25-year-old man that neighbors say is the girl's stepfather, who left the bathroom for a few minutes and returned to find the girl unconscious.
She was rushed to Brookdale Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
The medical examiner has yet to determine the cause of death.
The man was being interviewed by police, but no charges have been filed. The man said that moments before the incident, the child was talking and that nothing seemed out of the ordinary.
Sources say officers have had contact with the family in the past, and that the girl had some kind of medical condition that may have impacted her equilibrium.
That is now a part of the investigation.
Authorities are trying to determine if any sort of crime was committed or if this was just a tragic accident.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bedford-stuyvesant, brooklyn, drowning, child death, new york news
- I-5 bridge collapses into Skagit River
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Actress Amanda Bynes arrested in Midtown
- Heavy rain sparks flash flooding
- Officer arrested in firebombing of captain's home
- Jury deadlocked on Jodi Arias penalty
- Boy attacked by another on city bus, video
- Woman arrested in shooting death of Jersey City boy
- Anthony Weiner starts stumping in mayoral bid
- Rangers stay alive with OT goal against Bruins
- abcnews: 'Extremely Active' Potential For Hurricane...
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma