New York News
Girl, 5, drowns in bathtub in Bedford-Stuyvesant
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police are investigating the apparent drowning of a young girl in a bathtub in a Brooklyn apartment.
The incident happened around 7 p.m. in the Bedford-Stuyvesant section.
The 5-year-old girl was being watched by a 25-year-old man that neighbors say is the girl's stepfather, who left the bathroom for a few minutes and returned to find the girl unconscious.
She was rushed to Brookdale Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
The medical examiner has yet to determine the cause of death.
The man was being interviewed by police, but no charges have been filed. The man said that moments before the incident, the child was talking and that nothing seemed out of the ordinary.
Sources say officers have had contact with the family in the past, and that the girl had some kind of medical condition that may have impacted her equilibrium.
That is now a part of the investigation.
Authorities are trying to determine if any sort of crime was committed or if this was just a tragic accident.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bedford-stuyvesant, brooklyn, drowning, child death, new york news
- Bratton joins Sharpton at rally in Harlem 17 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead
- Man found fatally stabbed in Williamsburg
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela 55 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Secret Sales: Diamonds, pretzels and iPhone cases
- abcnews: North Korea Deports US War Vet Merrill Newman
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
55 min ago