New York News
Girl, 5, drowns in bathtub in Bedford-Stuyvesant
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Police are investigating the apparent drowning of a young girl in a bathtub in a Brooklyn apartment.
The incident happened around 7 p.m. in the Bedford-Stuyvesant section.
The 5-year-old girl was being watched by a 25-year-old man that neighbors say is the girl's stepfather, who left the bathroom for a few minutes and returned to find the girl unconscious.
She was rushed to Brookdale Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
The medical examiner has yet to determine the cause of death.
The man was being interviewed by police, but no charges have been filed. The man said that moments before the incident, the child was talking and that nothing seemed out of the ordinary.
Sources say officers have had contact with the family in the past, and that the girl had some kind of medical condition that may have impacted her equilibrium.
That is now a part of the investigation.
Authorities are trying to determine if any sort of crime was committed or if this was just a tragic accident.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, bedford-stuyvesant, brooklyn, drowning, child death, new york news
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze to be laid to rest
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out 35 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring 49 min ago
- Russians, Crimeans discuss referendum on joining Russia
- Obama's warnings brushed aside by Russia's Vladimir Putin
- 2 firefighters injured in Bronx bodega fire
- Search for owner of severely malnourished dog
- FDNY battery giveaway for smoke, CO detectors
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game'...
35 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos