New York News
11-month-old boy drowns in Brooklyn bathtub
NEW YORK (WABC) -- For the second time in four days, the NYPD is investigating the death of a young child in a home bathtub.
This time, an 11-month-old boy was left unattended in the tub of a home in Brooklyn.
The boy, identified as Elijah Pardella, was in the tub with his 3-year-old sister at the time, and his death, according to neighbors, was the result of a terrible accident.
The family lives in a first-floor apartment on Pennsylvania Avenue around 2:40 p.m. Sunday. Authorities say the mother, 24-year-old Angie Huertas, left the children alone in the bathtub with the drain unplugged, but the water still running.
Authorities say Pardella sat on the drain, allowing the tub to fill. When Huertas returned, she found the boy unconscious. He was rushed to Brookdale Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
The girl was unhurt.
Huertas was questioned by police, but no charges have been filed.
Last Thursday evening, a 5-year-old drowned in a bathtub in the Bedford-Stuyvesant section.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, brooklyn, child death, drowning, new york news
- Officer arrested in firebombing of captain's home 44 min ago
- Heavy rain sparks flash flooding
- AccuWeather Alert: Drenching downpours
- Eyewitness News Live
- Jury deadlocked on Jodi Arias penalty 59 min ago
- Boy attacked by another on city bus, video
- Boy Scouts to accept openly gay boys as Scouts
- Woman arrested in shooting death of Jersey City boy
- Students injured in Brooklyn pepper spray incident
- Anthony Weiner courts voters in Harlem Thursday
- The New DNA fingerprint: Cell phones
- Photographer chronicles wife's breast cancer battle
- abcnews: 'Extremely Active' Potential For Hurricane...
- Secret Sales: Brownies, Diamonds and a super secret sale