New York News
Richard Descoings, French academic, found dead
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Richard Descoings, a prominent French academic, was found dead in his hotel room in Midtown Tuesday afternoon.
Descoings was staying at the Michelangelo Hotel on 6th Avenue and 51st Street.
He was in town for a conference at Columbia University.
The 53-year-old was supposed to meet colleagues in the lobby of the hotel at 9 a.m.
When he never showed, they asked the hotel to check on him and left, thinking he may have gone ahead.
Hotel personnel checked on him and he appeared to be sleeping.
When he never showed at the conference, colleagues notified the hotel who went back to check on him and found him dead.
That was at around 1 p.m.
He was nude, and the hotel room was in disarray.
Descoings was found dead in Room 723. Alcohol and prescription drugs were found in the room, but it is not known if they played a role in his death.
There was no obvious trauma.
Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne initially said that the death was being investigated as suspicious, but after they learned more information about the condition of the room, they were able to clear up some questions and are moving away from the theory that the death is suspicious.
His cause of death will however have to be determined by the Medical Examiner.
Descoings is the director of the Institute of Political Studies in Paris and a member of France's government advisory board.
Sciences-Po as it's called, is an elite school and a training ground for French politicians including Dominique Strauss Kahn.
Tuesday night, the Midtown Hotel was a crime scene.
Guests were being asked for identification.
Tuesday night, the entire 7th floor was sealed off to the public.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, hotel, new york news
- Islam at center of 9/11 Memorial criticism
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool 3 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Boy found dead on building scaffolding in Bronx
- Yanks pitcher Pineda ejected for substance on neck
- Police search for arson suspect in Brooklyn
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Gunfire in Central Islip after drug deal goes bad
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
3 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos