New York News
3 rescued after barge capsizes in New York Harbor
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Three people were rescued after a barge overturned in the waters off Liberty Island Friday morning.
LINK: CHECK OUT PHOTOS
Captain Mohamed Gouda's morning started like any other on board his New York Waterway Ferry but ended much like it did on January 15th 2009 when he helped rescue some of the passengers from flight 1549, dubbed miracle on the Hudson.
This time same water, near Liberty Island.
This barge had rolled over on its side and with it, tossed 3 crew members into the frigid river.
"The boat was taking on water pretty fast and by the time I got there the boat was 90 degrees," said Captain Gouda.
Authorities say the Katherine G was in place at the end of the pier, that workers were in the process of loading a construction crane onto the spud barge, which is a unique barge that features 3 deck pilings.
Something went wrong causing the trio of terrified workers on the barge to scramble for help.
Gouda and his team lowered this safety apparatus, called a Jayson Cradle, into the water.
Other rescue crews then took the three men, who were not seriously injured, first to Ellis Island and then to the hospital.
Back on Liberty Island, teams tried to contain whatever may have spilled from the barge into the Hudson.
As for the crew on board the ferry that seems to always be in the right place at the right time.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york news
- 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini dies at 51 40 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: More sunshine
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Man dies in scuffle with police outside Bronx bodega 27 min ago
- Woman thrown from motorcycle, hit by cab 20 min ago
- 3 slashed during disupte in Morningside Heights 14 min ago
- Joe Torre's daughter catches child from awning
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx
- Upstate NY men accused of trying to make X-ray weapon
- Body found near Patriot's home was homicide victim
- Whistle-blower taped guards sleeping at JFK airport
- Photos: James Gandolfini through the years 40 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos